I celebrated by taking the day off :) That's okay though - I really needed it. I went back to Crossfit (actually called G-Fit - I will explain below) for the first time 8 MONTHS on Monday, the day after running that 5k, and my quads, glutes, and hammies are in desperate need of some TLC. Yesterday I swam and today I just walked my dogs and foam rolled.
Speaking of not running, let's talk about my favorite kinds of cross training, shall we?
What I do when I'm not running:
1. Indoor Cycling - I first started spinning in college (junior year maybe??). I LOVE IT. A spin class is a great way to get a tremendous workout, without too much impact. I'm also a big fan of being told what to do, so I literally don't have to think at all. I love coming out of a spin class sweating like I was just in the sauna. It just hurts so good! However, I have two cons about spinning: it hurts my lower back (but this is all about setting up the bike properly so that can be avoided), and it really depends on the teacher. A "good" or "bad" teacher is all about the vibe you have with them. You just know...
2. Swimming - Ahhhh a nice relaxing swim. Swimming is so weird in that it feels so slow and relaxed, and yet I can't last more than 30 minutes in the pool before being exhausted. I rarely do "workouts" in the pool. I just use it as a time to stretch and lengthen my aching muscles. You can read more about my swimming here.
3. Walking - You must know by now I very much enjoy walking my dogs. Walking is a great way to keep moving and flush out lactic acid without taxing yourself. Just obviously don't walk all day (i.e. sightseeing of something of the sort) the day before a big race, because that can have the opposite effect.
4. 8 Minute Abs - Have you ever heard of 8 Minute Abs??? This isn't exactly cross training because it's not a whole workout, but it's magical. It's a goofy workout video that is seriously death by crunches. I swear it works. Check it out!
What I would rather rest than do:
1. Elliptical - Personal preference...too boring, and I don't feel like it's as good workout. And don't get me wrong, I would know. I spent HOURS on it in college.
2. Yoga - Oh yoga, I wish I liked you more!!! I have tried many a time to get into yoga, but to no avail. However, the yoga I have enjoyed the most, and feel like I could get hooked on, is hot yoga. I do like that, because I get my SWEAT on (see above, in Indoor Cycling). In order to get a great hot yoga class I'd have to join a studio, which I fiscally cannot do. I also wouldn't have time for enough yoga. I guess the yoga dilemma is sort of like the Gfit dilemma... I do believe in STRETCHING, though! Stretching is a must.
1. What's you favorite type of cross training? Least favorite? Something you're dying to try?
2. Did you celebrate National Running Day? PS. It's not too late to tweet #IMARUNNER to @timexsports. They will donate $5 Team Boomer (a Cystic Fibrosis Research Team).